We appreciate your interest in our multi-component module on the interaction with Ms. Byers a simulated patient with multiple diagnoses including:
● Post-infection IBS
● Opioid-induced constipation
● Narcotic Bowel Syndrome
● Centrally mediated abdominal pain
● Psychosocial difficulties including
- History of abuse and trauma
- Somatic symptom disorder
- Visceral anxiety
- Opioid seeking behavior
What a challenge this can be for the provider!
This module is designed to help the provider understand these disorders, engage with the patient in an effective patient-provider relationship, and use good communication skills to recommend effective treatments. This module contains the following educational materials.
● A video of a simulated patient interview presented as a first-time clinic visit that includes
- An opening statement by Dr. Drossman and Ms. Ruddy to introduce the clinic visit
- Ms. Byers initial presentation to Dr. Drossman
- Discussion of the key aspects of this first visit by Dr. Drossman and Ms. Ruddy
- Simulated interview of Ms. Byers and Dr. Drossman after the physical examination. Dr. Drossman provides a clear diagnosis and education on their
pathophysiology and treatment. The information is presented using effective communication skills that engage the patient in the learning.
- Post interview discussion by Dr. Drossman and Ms. Ruddy
You will note that the video has labels at the bottom of the screen to describe the content being discussed for easy reference as follows (note time codes):